Tuesday 13 August 2013

Detangling Your Kinks

Hey Kurlies

Sooo up until now I thought I had an excessive hair shedding problem...however, low and behold I realised that not detangling my hair properly led me to believe I had more shed hairs than I thought!

I guess I thought my afro hair was supposed to be slightly knotted and tangled (hmmm maybe thats another entry for my black hair myths!). I was scared to really get in there and comb it all out because of shedding. When really the hair that was coming out when I was combing was all the built up shed hairs that I didn't take out through detangling properly.

Also, when looking at my shed hairs I found that they were tangled within eachother (like small hair balls :s) and many single stand knot shed hairs. This means that I was probably experiencing more shedding than I was supposed to because the shed hairs that I failed to remove were probably tangling up with other hair strands, causing them to prematurely shed or break.

Now that I have started to detangle my hair properly I find that my fingers can freely glide through my hair strands and I'm not pulling out hair every time I touch my fro!

So curlies please do not fear the comb (or fingers as I like to use). Just accept the shedding, its a natural process. Its best to remove those hairs than to allow them to hang on for dear life in your hair!

How I detangle


  • I take my hair down from its cornrows
  • Part a piece of my hair and spray it with distilled water
  • I clutch the piece of hair in my hand ( so my hand is in a fist shape) so that the ends of the hair is sticking out. I use my fingers to then puff out the ends so they detangled first.
  • I then release the hair piece and begin detangle the middle of the hair strand down to the roots by simply separating the hair strands with my fingers
  • On the same piece of hair I add my Cantu Shea Moisture Leave in Conditioner and use a wide tooth comb to detangle from ends to root again.


I do this all over my hair and the result is soft detangled hair with less shedding come wash time and styling :)



No comments:

Post a Comment